Google

Sunday, August 2, 2009

How I hate sharing.... grrrr



I have had a shocking insight recently into the big bad world of owning your own business. It's insane to watch how people jump on the bandwagon whenever you start something - they all want a piece of it.
jumping on the bandwagon.

The amount of frustration that it evokes in me is insanely out of proportion - I feel like I've done all the work, creating something out of nothing, starting something that was just a brief idea in my head, giving it food and water, and time and effort, and watching it grow into an actual thing I can touch, something real, and credible, and happening... and then suddenly, all these people want to get in on it.

In one way it's entirely frustrating - I feel like telling the world to get the f*ck off my land - while they were sitting in the sunshine reading a book, I was out tending the crops, and now my crops are ready, all these stragglers are arriving to help me harvest! It's like - piss off - I did all the hard work!!

At the same time, I have to calm myself, because sharing is so important, collaboration, working together to make something better... and realistically, if people pitch in, we will be able to gather enough food to satisfy everyone, and if I don't get their help, then I can't harvest all the crops alone, and I won't get the full potential out of it.

So I guess this is how the world works... but grrrr nonetheless... I'm selfish! It's a hard lesson for us young entrepreneurs!

No comments: