Google

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Shopping Addict

Hey guys, if you have a chance, watch this video - the first few bits are obvious, but when she gets to the consumption and disposal stuff its kinda scary.

http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html

It was only yesterday that I saw a woman crossing the street, and I noticed her shoes - They were the old fashioned heels, like the one in the picture:

(Even when I was looking for this picture, I saw so many nice shoes, I am so weak, I want them all!!)

This video spoke to me about how I am being tricked into being a consumer: I mean how recently would I have thought these shoes are mingin... and now, just by seeing them on sale everywhere, and in magazines, and worn by the celebs... they are suddenly delectable! Its insane!

The american economist, Victor Lebow said the following in the 1950's:
"Our enormously productive ecomony demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption... we need things consumed, burned up, replaced and discarded at an ever-accelerating rate."

Its crazy, but I feel personally, at the moment, that I can sometimes use shopping as a method of filling my soul. And that scares the shit out of me! I wish I didn't feel this need, to own stuff, or to look pretty. As I cycle a lot, I tend to people watch, its an addiction! I'm hooked!

I know deep down that spending my hard earned cash on good food, and good times is much more important than the buzz I feel from wearing new shoes, but with Christmas around the corner, and new shops opening everywhere (has anyone seen Limerick lately? Its superb!) its hard not to jump on the bandwagon, and buy, buy, buy!

That said, I was aware of the problem, so I started bringing my journal to work, and writing during my breaks instead of shopping... but now that I've seen this video, I'm more determined not to let myself be brainwashed into thinking the latest fashions will soothe my soul.

Happy christmas shopping!!
love el xx

No comments: