Google

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Wind farms etc

Adrian says he's gonna write cos I'm threatening to change the name to Ellens Blog, but of course he has found his excuse - he's going for a run!

Its a miserable day. Sometimes I like them cos it means I can stay in without feeling guilty, but on the other hand I would like to go for a walk and this weather makes it so much harder!!

Oh - we went to the wind farm yesterday - wow, its in the middle of nowhere! Took us ages to get there, we finally arrived at 8.30 or so, on dirt tracks, after going around and around a hill for ages! It was really cool, but, to my intense disappointment, (ya right!) we didn't get to go up to the top. They are actually really quiet. The whooshing sound they make is kinda soothing, but I wouldn't like to be sleeping next to a huge wind farm!



Did you know there are about 800 wind turbines in Ireland? They provide less than 2% of our energy needs. This small wind farm that we went to only had 3 turbines, and they provide enough energy for 2000 houses as long as the wind blows. I got all the info - I think the guy thought we were interested in investing in them - as if! With Adrians salary! Hilarious idea! They cost (so he says) 650,000 euro each, so the wind farm cost them 2 million, and by selling the electricity to ESB, they will pay back their loan in 15-20 years. Good investment?

I dunno if I like wind farms now... like in order to provide 10% of our energy needs, we need to install like 3500 more... and although they are "cool", I don't think it would be so aesthetically pleasing to have them dotten all over the mountain sides... Its a tricky one. What do you guys think?

There were loads of other people there, even though the weather was terrible! I was pleasantly surprised we were not the only nerds!

Have a good weekend!

Love el xx

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hiya El,

Very interesting about your windmill poll, I'm still undecided as to which way to vote! You see, windmills as a source of renewable energy is simply fantastic I think, but then again you have the problem with aesthetics as you say. As long as they put them is some remote place that is already nothing special to look at then I'm all for them! But each country has it's own individual needs in terms of renewable energy, windmills I think are one for Ireland, along with renewable biofuels. All food for thought really!

But listen, California is FULL of the things, Liam has also been witness to the thousands of them that dot the horizon over here. I got a good pick of them actually, I will try and compress it and email you it. But in the mean time, check out this link of photos of the windmills in a place called Livermore up the road from me here in Cali. This guy actually turned the windmills into art, very pretty some of them.

http://www.glennjamesphotography.com/photos/themes/windmills/index.htm

Have a fabulous weekend missus.

Karen xox

Unknown said...

Ellie,

You need to be promoting wind farms, not questioning them!!!
:-) I'm all for them, specially since they don't make that much noise as you said. I think they look okay although the photo of the farm in California is a bit scary.

Unknown said...

way to go, i've been published on ellen and adrian's webpage, high five!
xox